BURRELL SPECIAL SCENIC ROAD LOCOMOTIVES - WORKS NUMBER ORDER
3827 VICTORY - Built 1920 - Charles Thurston of Norwich
Burrell's first Special Scenic engine. Delivered to Charles Thurston of Norwich in May 1920 for his Golden Dragon Scenic ride. This ride appeared at the Lynn Mart Fair in February 1920 attended by Burrell Scenic engine KING EDWARD VII No. 2780. The new engine provided the lighting and the two engines worked in partnership. The engine is now part of the famous Cushing Collection in Norfolk. Sadly it is no longer ever in steam. You can read more about the collection (which includes Scenic Rides) and the opening hours by clicking on this link http://www.thursford.com
3840 QUEEN ELIZABETH - Built 1920 - Mrs John Wilmot - Scrapped
Canopy: John Wilmot's Touring Entertainments Est 1863
Delivered to Mrs John Wilmot in July 1920 for her Switchback ride. She was the widow of a celebrated Scottish showman, John Wilmot, the Father of the Scottish Showland. She carried no name initially, nor any traditional brasswork decoration. She was sold within a year to J. Green & Sons of Preston for their Golden Dragons Scenic and named Queen Elizabeth. She was cut up in 1948. She is shown here in the ownership of Green & Son and the auxiliary dynamo appears to have been removed (or perhaps she was sold without one?).
3865 No. 1 Built 1920 - Pat Collins
Canopy: COLLINS AMUSEMENTS ON TOUR
This engine was purchased to provide power for Collin's Scenic Whales managed by Miss Clara Mullett, who later became Pat Collins second wife. This engine was built as a Scenic but was later converted to Special Scenic specification by the addition of an exciter dynamo and the platform from 4021 LORD CURZON. She was the last Scenic-type engine seen working in the fairgrounds and when the Scenic ride was taken off the road she powered the Collin's Noahs Ark ride.
3866 - VANGUARD - Built 1920 - Marshall Hill, Bedminster - Scrapped
Built in December 1920 and sold to Marshall Hill of Bedminster, Bristol for his motor scenic ride. Later acquired by Bernard Hill of Leominster who scrapped her in 1952. Vanguard travelled the West Country Fairs including Frome Fair. She was fitted with an auxiliary dynamo platform and dynamo and also had the bunker extension crane. I have included Vanguard here as she appears to have been upgraded to the full Special Scenic specification at some point in her working life. The Burrell records show she was built with the bunker extensions and a jib crane was fitted but they only list the auxiliary platform as fitted. The dynamo may have been added later by her owners.
3872 HERO - Built 1920 - Caris & Sons - Scrapped
Canopy: CARIS & SONS, NEWCASTLE ON TYNE
Photo: Steam Scenes
HERO was mechanically identical to 3840 but carried the tradition brass decorations. She was supplied new to Caris & Sons of Newcastle-upon-Tyne for their Gondola Switchback Ride. Later acquired by Sam Crow & Sons of Middlesborough. She was cut up for scrap. A photograph exists of the engine being driven away on a low loader having been sold for scrap. The last owner was heard to comment that the photograph would never have been taken if he had known the value of the engines in later years of preservation. Oh the value of hindsight.
3879 JACK - Built 1921 - John Proctor & Sons - Scrapped
Canopy: J PROCTOR & SONS, AMUSEMENT CATERERS
Exhibited at the Lynn Mart Fair in Norfolk in 1921. JACK was built to the order of John Proctor for his second Scenic ride, a magnificent set of Peacocks. It always had pride of place at the famous Nottingham Goose Fair until taken off the road in the 1930's.
3884 GLADIATOR (I WONDER) - Built 1921 - Fred Gray of Hampstead
Canopy: F. GRAY'S NEW SCENIC RAILWAY
This engine was supplied to Fred Gray of Hampstead in March 1921 for his new set of Scenic Motors. She was originally named I WONDER and later renamed Gladiator. The engine and ride (which incorporated a very fine 110 key Gavioli organ) travelled London fairs until the early 1950's. They always had pride of place at the Hampstead Heath Holiday Fairs. The canopy was lettered Fred Gray's Steam Yachts". The engine was owned by Hardwicks of West Ewell before being sold on. For a driver's view of the footplate click on the link below. http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/interactive_panoramas/traction_engine.php
3886 LORD LASCELLES - Built 1921 - Harry Gray of Battersea
Canopy: H. GRAY'S STEAM YACHTS
This engine was new to Harry Gray in April1921. She travelled with Gray's Scenic Ride until 1939. . In 1951 she went to Hardwick's scrap yard in West Ewell where she was renamed TULYAR after the 1952 Derby winner. She was then purchased by the heavy haulage firm, J. Hickey & Son. It was only in 1964 when the late Steve Neville took possession of the pieces that her survival was assured. After reassembly by James & Crockerell she was extensively rallied in preservation until 1980 when it was sold to Mr Richard Marsh. He carried out a complete rebuild an exceptional effort to completely restore it to near new condition.
3887 THE PRINCE OF WALES - Built 1922 - Henry Jennings of Bristol
Canopy: JENNINGS' WONDERFUL WHALES
Supplied new in 1922 to Henry Jennings & Sons of Devizes Wilts, to power his famous Whale Scenic Ride. On the canopy carried words "Jennings Wonderful Whales". Purchased by L C V Corbett in 1952. Purchased in 1956 and restored and owned by Peter Barber, MD at James & Crockerell of Devizes. Sold in 1971 to L R Searle & Sons Horsham. It is believed this engine was the last to work regularly on British Fairgrounds between London to Bristol. She attended the Salisbury Fair every year.
3888 GENERAL GOUGH - Built 1921 - Swales Bolesworth
Canopy: BOLESWORTH'S AMUSEMENTS ON TOUR
GENERAL GOUGH was not fitted with a bunker crane.
Built in 1921. Shewas not fitted with a bunker crane. Supplied new to Swales Bolesworth of Dagenham, Essex for travelling his ex-White Bros Gondola Switchback ride. The engine was operated by members of the Bolesworth family for many years touring the fairgrounds of the London area. Certainly in the 1940's the engine was still touring the fairs under the ownership of Tom Bolesworth and bore the legend 'British Amusements on Tour'. Owned in later years by D.W.White of Margaretting, Essex the engine was eventually brought by Hardwicks who after the war purchased many an engine that would otherwise have been cut up for scrap.
3896 EARL BEATTY Built 1921 - Anderton & Rowland
Canopy: ANDERTON & ROWLANDS GOLDEN DRAGONS
Supplied to Anderton & Rowland, the well-known West Country showmen, on 13th May 1921 at a cost of £3500. The engine was given a Plymouth registration and named by the firm's manager of the day, Mr.George De Vey Snr, as Earl Beatty. On completion at the Burrell works in Thetford the engine was steamed direct to Messrs Orton & Spooner at Burton-On-Trent, Staffs and was set to test run the new Scenic Railway that the firm had just purchased. The engine worked until 1940. The engine was eventually sold by John Weaver of Cinderford, Gloucestersghire to Jack Wharton of Witney.
3909 WINSTON CHURCHILL (PRIDE OF THE ROAD) - 1921 - Albert Holland
Despatched to Holland Bros in April 1922 for Albert Holland's Peacock and Dragon Scenic Ride. Originally named PRIDE OF THE ROAD but this was later changed to Winston Churchill in preservation.. The late Eric Middleton bought this engine (for £250) directly from Hollands of Swadlincote, Derbyshire in about 1952 . It had been laid up and abandoned some years previously and had become pretty derelict by the time it arrived at Hartlebury. The engine was completely restored by Mr Middleton and was later sold and rallied in the 1980's by the Hardwick family - the famous West Ewell scrap yard owners.
3912 DRAGON - Built 1921 - ANDERTON & ROWLAND
Canopy: ANDERTON & ROWLANDS GOLDEN DRAGONS
In November 1921 DRAGON was supplied to Anderton & Rowland to work with her identical twin engine EARL BEATTY and the older Burrell LORD NELSON No. 3443. DRAGON and EARL BEATTY were the two most famous engines on the West Country circuit. The trio of engines travelled the Dragon Gondola Ride until 1936 when the ride was broken up. Both engines had special smaller than normal 6 foot diameter rear wheels. These were considered as better for negotiating steep hills in the Devon and Cornish countryside. Earl Beatty had a full jib crane but Dragon never carried a jib although she had the extended bunker sides.
3936 RENOWN - Built 1922 - Edward Danter & Sons of Newport
Canopy: E DANTER & SONS, AMUSEMENT CATERERS
Photo: Steam Scenes
In July 1922 Edward Danter & Sons took delivery of their third Scenic type engine. RENOWN was purchased to drive their newly rebuilt Scenic Peacocks ride which travelled until 1936. The engine also carried the nameplate ICH DIEN off the old 1901 Burrell 2379. RENOWN was always a smart, well cared for engine with wider than usual front wheels for tackling soft ground. Sadly she was cut up for scrap during the Second World War.
3938 QUO VADIS - Built 1923 - William Wilson of Peckham
Canopy: Wm. WILSON'S RENDEZ-VOUS, PECKHAM RYE
New to William Wilson of Peckham, London. Traveled with Rodes Switchback, until mid 1930's then sold to amusement contractors Walls of Petersfield, Hants with whom it ended Showland life in 1955. The engine then ended up at the Hardwick's West Ewell scrapyard. She was retrieved in a hopeless condition in 1959 and rebuilt to present condition by the late Edward Hine of Shaftesbury, Dorset. The engine became one of the most recognised and loved engines as it has been used for many years in all of the promotional literature produced by the Great Dorset Steam Fair.
3948 JOHN BULL (KITCHENER) - Built 1923 - H. Studt & Sons Swansea
Canopy: HENRY STUDT & SONS, SELECT AMUSEMENTS - Scrapped
Picture courtesy of Steam Scenes.
This engine was exhibited by Burrell at the Royal Smithfield Show in 1923 before delivery to H. Studt & Sons Swansea. This was the sixth Thetford engine to carry the name JOHN BULL. She was purchased as an additional engine for Studt's Scenic Dragons working with the Burrell 3599 KITCHENER and the Fowler LADY MARGARET. After WW1 the engine was renamed KITCHENER. The ride was sold in 1928. The engine was used to demolish damaged buildings in Swansea during the blitz in the Second World War. She had 7ft rear wheels and her brass valve chest covers were embossed with Dragons. Finally scrapped in 1958.
3968 THE WHALE - Built 1924 - Harry Hall of Derby - Scrapped
Canopy: HARRY HALL'S GORGEOUS GLITTERING WHALES ON TOUR
This engine was delivered to Harry Hall of Derby for his "Gorgeous Glittering Whales" Scenic Ride. The engine joined No. 4921 LORD CURZON. This photo shows the engine with chains strapped around the rear wheels to get better traction in the muddy conditions. The engine was being used to rope out other engines and caravans at the end of the Fair. Sadly the engine was scrapped at the end of its long, hard working life.
3969 MAJESTIC - Built 1925 - Enoch Farrar - Scrapped
Canopy: FARRAR BROS, GOLDEN DRAGONS ON TOUR
MAJESTIC was delivered to Enoch Farrar, a well-known Yorkshire traveller. She was bought to provide the power for his Golden Dragon Scenic ride. This engine did not have the usual twisted brass canopy supports (olivers), stars or rings, nor an auxiliary dynamo. She was therefore used as a second engine generating power for lighting rather than power for the actual ride.
4000 EX-MAYOR - Built 1925 - G. T. Tuby & Sons
Canopy: TUBY & SONS, OWNERS DONCASTER
EX-MAYOR did not have an auxiliary dynamo when built.
Alderman George Tuby was a famous Yorkshire showman and he ordered 7 brand new engines from Burrell over the years. They were all painted in the dark blue of the Great Eastern Railway. They were probably the finest fleet of Showmans engines. She was delivered in 1925 after being exhibited at the Lynn Mart Fair. The Scenic ride she was to power had been sold to Pat Collins so she never carried the auxiliary dynamo. She was saved by her driver Frank Cheffin who bought her from Tuby.
4021 LORD CURZON - Built 1925 - Harry Hall of Derby - Scrapped
Canopy: HARRY HALL'S GORGEOUS GLITTERING WHALES ON TOUR
This engine was supplied new to Harry Hall to power his "Gorgeous Glittering Whales" ride. The engine was fitted with the larger cylinders of the contractors type engines. It worked with THE WHALE. Harry Hall named the engine after the distinguished statesman who lived at Kedleston Hall, near Derby. Both engines travelled the Scenic Whale ride at fairs throughout the Midlands until 1937. LORD CURZON was then transferred to Hall's brother-in-law, Pat Collins of the famous Bloxwich concern, with whom she ended her days. The photo shows her with Hall's Whales in 1932.
4030 THE DOLPHIN (GUVNOR) Built 1925 William S. Davies Stoke on Trent
This was the last engine built at Burrell's Thetford works. The engine was supplied to William Davies in September 1925. In 1927 she was sold to John Shaw of Sheffield and renamed The Guv'nor. Later she was sold to the Merseyside traveller , H.J Wallis Junior and renamed The Commando. She was eventually sold into preservation in 1959. While in John Shaw's ownership the canopy was lowered by 6 inches.
4092 SIMPLICITY - Built 1930 - Mrs Deakin of Brynmawr, South Wales
Canopy: A DEAKIN & SONS MODERN AMUSEMENTS
SIMPLICITY did not have a bunker crane
Mrs Alfred Deakin ordered the last Showmans engines from Burrell and John Fowler - SUPREME. Although SIMPLICITY was ordered from Burrells A.G.E decided the engine would be completed at Richard Garrett's Leiston Works. The engine was delivered directly to the Stratford Mop Fair where she powered a new set of Dodgems. Later both engines were sold to Road Engines & Kerr the Scottish heavy haulage company. Both had their dynamos removed and their roofs cut back. Sadly SIMPLICITY was cut up for scrap but SUPREME survived a few years derelict at Hardwick's yard.
2780 EDWARD VII - Built 1905 - Charles Thurston of Norwich
Returned to the factory for fitting of auxiliary dynamo
This engine was the first of the big 'Contractor's Type' Showman's Road Locomotives with the 7" DCC cylinders. She was delivered new in 1905 to power Thurston's Bioscope Show, known as the 'Original Royal Show'. In 1919 this engine was returned to Thetford for overhaul and a full conversion to the Special Scenic specification. The engine appeared at the Lynn Mart Fair in 1920 with the new Orton & Spooner built Golden Dragon Scenic ride. The new engine VICTORY No. 3827 also attended the ride. Now on display at the Cushing Collection along with VICTORY.
3483 PERSEVERANCE THE SECOND - Built 1913 - Harniess Bros
Perseverance II at the Derby Day Fair in 1947 when with Coles.
Supplied new to Harniess Bros in June 1913 for their Savage-built "Little Wonder" ride. She and Fowler Enterprise were a popular sight at the country fairs in South Yorkshire LIncolnshire and Nottinghamshire. 3483 generated for the cars and organ. She was fitted with a post-type crane which was later changed to the bunker extension design. She was later sold to Mrs John Cole of Chichester for her Savage-built Spinning-top Switchback ride, A unique feature of the engine was a hatch in the canopy above the main dynamo so it could be lifted and removed easily.
3285 KING GEORGE V - Built 1911 - Tom Clarke of Kidderminster
Upgraded to Special Scenic at a later date.
"Uncle" Tom Clarke of Kidderminster bought this engine and 3273 QUEEN MARY for his Scenic Motor ride in 1911. He is reputed to have paid £3,500 cash for the pair! They spent all their useful life with the Motors and then on the death of Mr & Mrs Clarke they went to Tom's step son, Frank Wilson. The engine is included here as it was upgraded to Special Scenic specification by the addition of the auxiliary dynamo and the bunker tower crane.
SCRAPPED - SIR COLIN CAMPBELL - BURRELL SCENIC ROAD LOCO 2806
The sad sight of a Burrell Scenic Road Locomotive being scrapped. During the 1950's many showmans' engines met their end in scrapyards all over the country. Luckily many were saved from this fate and are now cherished in preservation. As mentioned elsewhere on this site a large number of engines were scrapped by the Hardwick family of Ewell in Surrey. They also played a vital role in saving some important engines.